Churches of the Reno

Pieve di Panico (Marzabotto)

Pieve di Panico (Marzabotto)

This church is dedicated to San Lorenzo and is above one of curves of the Reno river. Even if it was documented for the first time in 1049, it was built before that date. It was under the political influence of the powerful “Conti da Panico”, who dominated most of the Bolognese mountain area and whose fortress was quite near the church. It was built in a typical Romanesque style and was then enlarged. After three complete works of renovation, it is nowadays characterized by Romanesque splendour again. Kept in perfect condition, it is one of the most beautiful churches in the Bolognese mountain area. It has a wonderful decorated apse and is opened just during celebrations.

See on Map

Malfolle Oratory (Marzabotto)

Malfolle Oratory (Marzabotto)

Malfolle oratory is dedicated to San Nicolò and is located in an isolated area, on a hill that dominates the Reno valley. It was probably built in the Thirteenth century. During the Eighteenth century it was modified: a bell gable was built and the walls were plastered. It has a rectangular shape and the in “opus quadratum” apse of the ancient Romanesque churches. Inside there are some interesting paintings dating from the Fifteenth century, however it is usually closed. It can be reached taking via Malfolle near Sibano and following the directions to San Lorenzo

See on Map

Pieve di Calvenzano (Vergato)

Pieve di Calvenzano (Vergato)

This church is dedicated to the Saints Andrea and Apollinare and is on the alluvial terrace of the river Reno, at Monte Radicchio’s feet. It probably has Byzantine origins. During the Twelfth century it was under the political influence of the powerful “Conti da Panico” and it had more or less fourteen depending churches. The actual building is the result of some renovation works completed during the Nineteenth century, which modified its liturgical orientation. It has some traces of the ancient Romanesque building: an “opus quadratum” tower with two loopholes that witness its defensive aim, and a single-light window, placed in the actual facade, that belonged to the Romanesque church’s old apse. It is open during celebrations: tel. 051.910028.

See on Map

Alvar Aalto di Riola Church (Grizzana Morandi)

Alvar Aalto di Riola Church (Grizzana Morandi)

This church is dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta and is above the shore of the river Reno. It is one of the most important and wonderful masterpieces of contemporary sacred art. It was Bologna’s Cardinal Giacomo Lercaro who decided to build it. It was designed in 1966 by the great Finnish architect Alvar Aalto (1898 -1976) and built between 1976 and 1978. Since 1986 it has been the  seat of the parish. It provides a great visual impact and is worth visiting it. It is open to the public during religious celebrations

See on Map

Montovolo di Vimignano Church (Grizzana Morandi)

Montovolo di Vimignano Church (Grizzana Morandi)

Dedicated to St. Maria della Consolazione (St. Mary of the Consolation), this sanctuary is situated in a dominating position above Montovolo. Probably erected in the IX century, it is cited for the first time in 1055. Destroyed during a fire in the first half of the XIII century, it was reconstructed in a Romanic style around 1211. Today, this sanctuary stills stands in fair condition, and maintains its simple Romanic structure: a single knave with a truss rooftop, and under the main alter, lay the remains of an ancient crypt from the previously erected church dating to the IX century. Notwithstanding several baroque additions, the inside of the church maintains its medieval structure with exemplary capitals and Romanic decorations.

See on Map

S. Caterina di Vimignano Chapel (Grizzana Morandi)

S. Caterina di Vimignano Chapel (Grizzana Morandi)

This chapel is dedicated to Santa Caterina d’Alessandria. It was built in a dominating position on the upper side of Montovolo, quite near Pieve di Santa Maria della Consolazione. The “opus quadratum” oratory is in the ancient Romanesque style with a rectangular plan, unique aisle and roof truss. Inside, cross vaults are decorated with fresco paintings dating from the Fourteenth century. They represent the history of Caterina, Heaven and Hell. What is more, there is also a valuable carved sandstone sarcophagus.

See on Map

Pieve di Roffeno Church (Vergato)

Pieve di Roffeno Church (Vergato)

This Parish, dedicated to San Pietro, is on the Vergatello river high valley, on the ancient via Nonantolana. It has the typical plan of rural Romanesque architecture dating from the Thirteenth century. During the Baroque Age it was renovated many times and its structure was partially modified. It has a wonderful apse with various decorations, valuable capitals and a defensive tower dating from the Fourteenth century. Inside there is an important baptismal font and fresco paintings dating from the Seventeenth century. It can be visited on reservation: Mr. Vitali tel. 051.915164.

See on Map

Rocca di Roffeno Church (Castel d’Aiano)

Rocca di Roffeno Church (Castel d’Aiano)

This church, dedicated to San Martino di Tours, was built during the Seventeenth century. It replaced an ancient Romanesque church dedicated to Santa Maria, whose remains include the bell tower. Inside there are some valuable paintings, such as Dionisio Calvaert’s “La Deposizione”,  Spagnoletto’s “Madonna col Bambino” and the Saints Pietro, Paolo and Bernardino, and some paintings of the Bolognese school belonging to different periods. There is also a valuable 18th carved confessional. It is open during religious celebrations.

See on Map

S. Lucia di Rocca di Roffeno Church (Castel d’Aiano)

S. Lucia di Rocca di Roffeno Church (Castel d’Aiano)

This church, dedicated to Santa Lucia and depending on Nonantola Abbey, was built in an unspecified time on a medieval street, in an area full of woods. It was documented for the first time in 1068, but was probably been built during the Tenth century. The Abbey had big plots of land and controlled some peregrine hospices, but from the Fifteenth century it gradually lost its importance. It was damaged during the Second World War and  was then reconstructed in Baroque style. one part of the crypt and some valuable capitals are in the Romanesque style,. It is open during celebrations and on Sundays.

See on Map