Churches of the Panaro

Oratory of the Madonna (Guiglia)

Oratory of the Madonna (Guiglia)

This oratory is dedicated to Beata Vergine di San Luca and is placed under the ancient castle. It was built at the end of the Seventeenth century by Ottavia Caprara, the widow of the Marquis Giambattista Montecuccoli. Construction works, by her son Raimondo, ended in 1715.  Then it was used as family funeral chapel. Inside there is a collection of paintings. It can only be seen from the outside.

See on Map

Pieve di Trebbio (Guiglia)

Pieve di Trebbio (Guiglia)

This church is dedicated to San Giovanni Battista and was probably built by Matilde di Canossa. It was documented for the first time in 1048. During the Twelfth century it was modified and some baroque elements were added. At the beginning of the Twelfth century, some contestable renovation works were done in order to re-establish the ancient Romanesque style. From the ancient church, there are still the pillars that divide the cellars, some valuable carved capitals of the little columns that sustain the crypt, and the baptismal font. In the past this parish had 19 chapels. It can be visited on reservation: tel. 059.795721.

See on Map

Roccamalatina Church (Guiglia)

Roccamalatina Church (Guiglia)

This church, dedicated to Beata Vergine Assunta, was built at the beginning of the Seventeenth century on a previously existing building. The decorated sandstone entrance door and the Seventeenth century wood roof with lacunars and paintings are really valuable from an architectural and artistic point of view. There are some other paintings, for example the one probably painted by Bertusi, Ludovico Carracci’s apprentice, and a precious Seventeenth century sandstone sink.

See on Map

Missano Church

Missano Church

Continue ...

This church, dedicated to the Saints Vitale and Biagio, was built in the Seventeenth century to replace the ancient parish. On the façade there is a sandstone entrance door. Inside there are some Seventeenth century paintings with wood ancones, a baptismal font in worked stone and a Sixteenth century polyptych, which is rare in mountain areas: five tables representing Saint Mary with the child among the Saints Antonio Abate ...


Continue ... See on Map

Verucchia Sanctuary (Zocca)

Verucchia Sanctuary (Zocca)

This church is dedicated to Saint Geminiano and was built during the Seventeenth century at the feet of the ancient castle walls. The fortification, which was bitterly contended by the Municipalities of Modena and Bologna, has been damaged over time and by the Second World War. Now we can see just a few parts of it, for example the ancient keep and the church with parsonage. Groups can visit it on reservation: tel. 059.985711

See on Map

Montetortore Church (Zocca)

Montetortore Church (Zocca)

This church is dedicated to Saint Geminiano and was built during the Seventeenth century at the feet of the ancient castle walls. The fortification, which was bitterly contended by the Municipalities of Modena and Bologna, has been damaged over time and by the Second World War. Now we can see just a few parts of it, for example the ancient keep and the church with parsonage. Groups can visit it on reservation: tel. 059.985711

See on Map

Riva di Biscia di Maserno Oratory (Montese)

Riva di Biscia di Maserno Oratory (Montese)

This oratory, dedicated to Saints Fabiano and Sebastiano, was built as the castle’s chapel during the Fourteenth century, and then expanded during the Sixteenth century. Inside there are some Fifteenth century paintings. In 1530 a bell gable was built on the destroyed tower’s foundations. It still has the same bell from that year. In July and August it is open on Saturdays (10-11 a.m.) and on reservation tel. 059.971122.

See on Map

Monteforte di Maserno Oratory (Montese)

Monteforte di Maserno Oratory (Montese)

This oratory, dedicated to S. Antonino, is on a hill, where it is still possible to see the remains of the Twelfth century fortifications. Inside there are some interesting Fifteenth century fresco paintings. They represent Christ, Saint Mary with the Child and the Saints Antonino and Barbara. In July and August it is open on Saturdays (11.15 -12.15 a.m.) and on reservation tel. 059.971122

See on Map

Villa D'aiano Ancient Church (Castel D'aiano)

Villa D'aiano Ancient Church (Castel D'aiano)

Continue ...

Villa d’Aiano is a little town where people spend their holidays among the greenery of woods and chestnuts. It was documented for the first time in 1025. The recently built church, which is dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta, is dated 1950, while the near bell tower is dated 1900. Inside there are two valuable paintings: one of the Eighteenth century painter Lorenzo Pranzini and the other of Giulio Cesare ...


Continue ... See on Map

Pieve di Semelano Church (Montese)

Pieve di Semelano Church (Montese)

This church is dedicated to the Saints Peter and Paul and was documented for the first time in 1159. During the Seventeenth century some renovation works took place, when its actual shape was built. To enter this church you have to pass through the monumental sandstone entrance door. The church is made of three naves separated by tuff columns and enriched by valuable capitals. The chapel on the right is dedicated to Saint Pellegrino, the second one keeps a Bolognese scagliola frontal dating 1681, while the chapel on the left has a Crucifix and an “Addolorata” dating from the end of Seventeenth century. There are two valuable paintings painted by Giovan Battista Bertusi, Ludovico Carracci’s apprentice: “Madonna del Rosario con i Misteri” and “Transito di San Giuseppe”. We’d also like to highlight the organ made by Domenico Traeri. The church is open in July and August on Wednesdays (9 -10.30 a.m.) and on reservation tel. 059.971122.

See on Map

Pieve di Montalto Church (Montese)

Pieve di Montalto Church (Montese)

This church is dedicated to Saint George and was documented for the first time in 1291. During the Seventeenth century it became bigger thanks to the only nave’s elongation and the bell tower’s construction. The chancel of the Sixteenth century church is undamaged. It is characterized by a two columns open gallery and there is a cupola on its central part, above the main altar. On the east side there are some traces of fresco paintings and the chancel’s arch. They belong to a previously existing church. After having been abandoned for decades, it has now gained its past splendour again. The church is open in July and August on Wednesdays (11-12.30 a.m.) and on reservation tel. 059.971122

See on Map